History of RBGC
Widely known as “The Jewel in the Crown of the South East Queensland golfing scene” Redland Bay golf has, indeed, a very rich history.
The official opening of the first Redland Bay golf course in German Church Road on the 6th September, 1919. Mr W.H. Melrose offered the free use of his paddock which was gratefully accepted.
From that point in time until the official opening of the new links on 7th April, 1934 visitors came from just about everywhere with one writing in the remarks section: “Redland Bay course is excellent”. At the official opening the number of visitors increased sharply, many from Royal Queensland Golf Club.
In 1926 the club house was erected which though small was greatly appreciated by all.
Construction of first nine at North Street – A great vote of thanks must go to the late Harry Moore. Harry was obviously a very community minded man who farmed land at the northern end of the Orchard Beach development in Moores Road.
Both he and his wife enjoyed golf and when a decision was made to move from the original course in German Church Road to the present site, he is given credit for both organising the move and developing a nine hole course to the design of Mr. Stan Francis, a course designer from Brisbane. On numerous occasions he sent his farm workers to work on the course during construction. He organised other workers and all contracts to clear the land and he even had schoolboys gathering sticks on a Saturday morning for one shilling for a morning’s work.
Both the early Club Committee and Harry Moore must have had visions of extending to 18 holes because Harry Moore purchased the land in his own name about 1934. He retained ownership until he died. The land then passed to his son Frank who eventually sold it (the land west of the first nine) to the then owner of the Golf Course.
Had that land not been purchased and held by Harry Moore and his son Frank for over 40 years the Club may never have been able to put together a parcel of land large enough to build what we have today.